What a grand thing, to be loved! What a grander thing still, to love! – Victor Hugo
It has been said and I’ll say it once more- the little things are the big things. Truly. For isn’t it all those little things wrapped up into one person that makes them “your person?” That is a BIG thing. The biggest of all. Therefore I venture to say that sweet nothings are sweet EVERYTHINGS. You with me?
Whether you shout it, sing it, write it, or the classic whisper never let a day go by without exalting your love.
DIY Sweet Nothings Chalk Clipboard
-clipboard, I like the 6 x 9 size for this project
-rubber stamps, alphabet and others(you could also use paint or a paint pen)
-mod podge or other sealant
Begin by stamping out your phrase. I like to make it specific to the couple or family- perhaps including a pet name or special saying.
The timeless “I love you because” is always a good option. I also chose “You are my person because” & “You are my favourite because.”
After stamping, let the ink dry for an hour or so. Then seal in the ink by coating with mod podge. Be careful not to use too much pressure in your application as it may smear the ink. Let dry.
Begin brushing chalkboard paint onto clipboard. My paint suggests vertical strokes for the first coat. Let dry for one hour. Then paint second coat in horizontal strokes. After completely cured(24hrs) condition board surface by rubbing chalk over and wiping clean.
To finish- tie chalk to clipboard with some twine, hang in your home and you’re off!
Let the sweet nothings begin.
And let them never stop.
SweetNothings Every Day.
“I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope….. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant…….For you alone, I think and plan.”
-Jane Austen “Persuasion”
When was the last time you received a hand written posted letter? Where have all the letters gone? Ever since I was a small girl I’ve been a romantic. Not a “hopeless romantic,” in fact entirely hopeFUL. Feverishly turning the pages of “Pride & Prejudice,” “Sense & Sensibility,” & “Jane Eyre”……..daydreaming of a life where everything hangs in the balance upon the receipt of a letter. Can you imagine? How utterly romantic(and nerve-wracking) to wait with baited breath for the correspondence from your amour. Perhaps delivered on horseback? On a cold rainy evening? This Valentine’s send your love, your best friend, your mother, or your secret crush a bit of your soul in the post.
Let’s slow down. Let’s put it in writing. Let’s fashion a treasured keepsake.
DIY Jane Austen Love LETTER
-envelope (I used glassine to maximize on the lovely contents)
-wax seal, sealing wax
-dried flowers, lavender, other tokens of affection
1. Write from the heart (if your inner Keats is feeling challenged follow the madlibs format- I love you because________, and it makes me feel________. My favorite thing about you is your___________. I’m sending you _________ this Valentine’s.) I chose to write by hand because it is done so rarely these days. And I’d like to think that something exchanges between me and the recipient energetically by doing so. If you don’t like your handwriting go to www.dafont.com where they have Jane Austen’s handwriting as a font, as well as Lord Byron’s and some fantastic old typewriter fonts.
2. Fold paper into envelope. Starting with the upper left picture and working across. Fold paper in half long way and short way to find center of paper. Then take bottom left corner and fold to center of paper. Take bottom right corner and fold so that the line begun down the center of the paper is continued on the right side. Take top left corner and fold so that tip is about an inch or so down the right side of the forming envelope and a straight line forms at bottom. Fold bottom of paper up to corner forming a right angle. Fold flap down. Voila!
3. Seal with wax & seal ( washi tape or stickers work nicely too!)
4. Stuff letter in envelope along with some lavender or other love tokens. Address, stamp & drop in post.
5. Brighten the day of someone you love.
Feel the love. Pass it on. LoveLetters Every Day.